Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The rpms will bounce when I am going down the road when I…

The rpms will bounce...

The rpms will bounce when I am going down the road when I let off the gas. usually only after the car is warm. and sometimes the car when in park the rpms will start oscillating to the point that I will have to put it in neutral to get it to stop

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I have had a lot of problems with the car. I have fixed quite a few things. it is now running good and gets good milage. I think I need to replace the starter but other than that it runs good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2002 grand am gt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Am yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I have alleviated other problems but this one still remains. I have changed fuel filter, fuel pump, the whole exhaust (cat included), battery, alternator, spark plugs, wires pvc valve, egr valve, and o2 sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It think that's it

3/17/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, on the top side of the throttle body is the IAC(idle air control) valve - see attached

Remove it and clean the port hole it goes into with throttle body cleaner and clean the pintle on the end of the IAC valve. Reinstall and test drive

If still doing the same thing, replace the IAC valve

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Thank you. I will try this this weekend

You are welcome

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager