Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Leaking oil after water pump replacement. It’s leaking OIL.

Second opinion] Leaking oil...

Second opinion] Leaking oil after water pump replacement

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

It’s leaking OIL. Front of vehicle. Black oil leaking right under front pan. Also looks like leaking under passenger tire.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

06 Grand Prix gxp. Buddy mechanic said front crankshaft seal? Could he have messed something up when he replaced my water pump?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing myself, but my mechanic friend said it be $200 to just do front crankshaft seal. I’ve read online that replacing water pumps incorrectly could cause oil leakage. Haven’t brought vehicle to him yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Any way I can prove a bad water pump replacement could cause oil leak

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

This is not a difficult procedure, and there are no oil systems opened up when the water pump is replaced. So if its leaking oil following the replacement, then it makes me wonder is something went wrong during the water pump replacement or if something was taken off should not have been.

in these, the oil pans and crank shaft seals can leak, however with the oil filter and pressure sensor being there. At any rate, do replace the crank sensor, 200$ in a shop is in the range to replace.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had a rather long conversation with a previous expert who said there is no chance an oil leak can occur when a water pump was replaced. I’ve looked online and have read different. I also had my oil changed at Conrad’s the day I had a long road trip from Cleveland to Detroit. It’s like I get something “fixed” and they say something unrelated to the fix is now wrong. If I can’t prove that Conrad’s didn’t tighten something or forgot to replace filter, seal, etc. when I got my oil changed and I can’t prove that my buddy mechanic who replaced the water pump at his house and 2 tires and all rotors and pads messed something up. He says it’s a front crankshaft seal. My pulley on the harmonic balancer seems to be wobbling a bit which I believe is the vibrating / pulsating feeling in my foot and seat while driving. What else would you have replaced if the cradle needs to be dropped for front crankshaft seal fix. Balancer?, rear crankshaft seal?, timing cover?, any belts, tensioner?, pulleys?. Appreciate your feedback. My car is 06 Grand Prix gxp. Just hit 90k. Thanks

Ok so I don't want to say its not related because the fact is that a tech could do anything during the course of the repair. I know that if I was doing the water pump, I would not have any reason to open the oil system, just the cooling system. Now a tech may have thought the balance needed to come off at which time the seal could have been damaged, and then yes its related.
The cradle may only need to be lowered on one side to gain access and the worse case is a required alignment after.
The wobble, can you make it happen when sitting idling or revving the engine? IF so then yes its your balancer, if not then no its something that needs the car moving and that often is transmission, wheels and such.

The fact is you have a 12 year old car with an engine that is great but known for leaking at times. Valve covers, intakes, oil pans, they leak.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician