Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I replaced a rack/pinion on 2005 Pontiac g6 and now I have…

I replaced a rack/pinion...

I replaced a rack/pinion on 2005 Pontiac g6 and now I have several lights and issues going on: no speedometer, engine light on, wrench light on, power steering message on radio, odometer now says error.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

Electric rack/pinion, now power steering fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, called and asked lots of questions trying to find some answers

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What are my options

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Electric power steering "no" power steering fluid.
3/8/2018
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

have you had this recall done?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I did the work myself because the dealership I called about said the recall had ran out and could not do the recall work for free.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wish I could afford the phone call, because it would make it easier, but sadly I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

well the recall on your vehicle called for the steering column replacement, not the rack n pinion

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, was there a time frame or mileage limitations?

read the recall I have attached. it tells you the limitations

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not receive any attachments.

I sent it as a pdf

again

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 230,000 + miles on my car. Is this something that is a time consuming project.

disconnect the battery, both cables and short them together for 5 minutes. then let them hang loose for 20 minutes before reconnecting. then we will see what lights are left

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I will try that. Be back in a few minutes.

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cleared out all the codes, took it out for a test drive, and the steering wasn't as tight as before, however something seemed a little loose, and I thought I could hear something in the steering column. Maybe like a quite rattle. Power Steering light, Wrench light came back on, odometer went back to "error", no speedometer, and no gas gauge.

I don't know what you could have messed yo but you need to double check your work. what was the reason for the rack replacement in the first place?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rack was bad, put it in a shop to get a free check and they told me the rack was bad.

you had to have disconnected connectors or damaged wiring while doing the install.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There was no wiring hook up to the rack itself. Also, I haven't told you I didn't disconnect the neg post and didn't have any way to lock the steering wheel in place. I had to wiggle the "U-Joint pinch collar" to get it off the shaft to the rack.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could I have messed something up inside the column?

ok, if the steering wheel rotated to much then the clockspring got damaged, hence all of the lights

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much of a pain-in-the-butt is that to replace or do I have to replace the column.

you dont have to replace the column but its no picnic. Ill send you the procedure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in a very small town (1100 population), would it be safe to drive in town until I can get it fixed.

it would probably be safe, but other systems may be affected to the point of it becoming a drive a bility issue

david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It maybe several weeks before I can afford to get all the parts and tools (airbag tool) to do the job. Thank you for all your information.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
help.

you are very welcome and feel free to reach out again when you are ready.

david craig
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician