Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Similar issues as listed on this site, but with a few

Similar issues as listed...

Similar issues as listed on this site, but with a few twists... the turn signal switch started going bad and would turn the brights on when you put on the right signal. Then the front drivers headlight went out, then both rear turn signals and brake lights (the 3rd brake light DOES work). I have checked fuses, and as I mentioned the turn signal unit is new (AC Delco genuine part)

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

THe bulbs are visually ok, checked the front headlight and tried replacing the rear turn signal bulbs, no avail

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

08 grand prix 6 cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do everything on my cars :) 1- new turn signal unit 2- replaced Multi Purpose RElay 15016745 on a suggestion from another site 3- checked all associated fuses and bulbs 4- reset the battery for 10 minutes. The turn signal seemed like it was working initially and flashed normal for a moment, then went out again

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

THats all I can think of at the moment... thank you!

2/28/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, the will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right for direct download.

Do you understand wiring diagrams and electrical testing well?

After the repairs what issues with the lights remain?

I have a very limited electrical knowledge, but I do have a multimeter that I can use if you can point me in the right direction.
I replaced the turn signal switch with a genuine AC Delco part.
The driver's side low beam doesn't work, but both high beams do.
Both front turn signals work, although flash fast because of the rears not working
Both rear brake lights do not work, although the 3rd brake light does
Just as some background mechanically, I have replaced mulitple timing belts, a transmission, head gaskets, etc. but electrical is something that I have limited knowledge or experience with. THanks in advance for your help!

Here are the wire diagrams.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yyj4mq2gdyxl0x/prixEL.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iopmxxvaz62ok0u/prixhead.pdf?dl=0

1. low beam, is fuse 3 powered with the low beams on? Is the black wire a good ground to the low beam? Is there power on the yellow wire with the low beams on?
  2. At the BCM check for brake applied power on pin 42 light green and pin 43 yellow. If there is no power there, then the BCM is bad.

Lets start with these tests.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

My multimeter is DOA (I have a friend bringing theirs sometime tonight) I swapped the fuses for 2 and 3 (L lo beams and R lo beams) and found that the passenger side works with either fuse, but the driver's doesn't work. Once I have access to a working multimeter I will post back. THanks for your help, I will be sure to rate you once I have a chance to test these 2 areas.

Thanks

Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Good morning Chris! Sorry I have been MIA, work got in the way. I replaced the BCM as it failed the tests you suggested. Got the part today and installed it. The turn signals flashed normally for about 5 seconds then reverted to flashing quickly, also the car will not start now due to the anti-theft module. Do you have any further advice?

Was this a new or used BCM?

Did you have it programmed once installed?

It is used. How do you program the BCM?

Programming is done with a scan tool.

Is this a dealer specific part or something that I would have access to?

DIYers can buy and own a scan tool that can do this but they are not cheap 500+. A dealer does have the tool to do so.

YIKES. Looks like I will be towing it somewhere then. Does it sound like having the BCM reprogrammed will solve all the above issues, or will that just fix the anti-theft issue?

It will for sure fix the anti-theft. I have never tried a vehicle without programming so I can not accurately answer if programming will too fix the turn signals.

OK, thank you Chris

You are welcome

Good evening Chris! First of all thank you for all your assistance in this matter! I had the dealership reprogram the BCM unfortunately I now have MORE issues than I started with... Is there something else I can check beyond the BCM? The issue of the rear turn signals, left headlight, and rear brake lights are still there, but now the heated seats and stereo are out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Is the used BCM still failing the previous tests?