Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 sunfire will not turn over. Battery charged and all…

1998 sunfire will not...

1998 sunfire will not turn over. Battery charged and all accessories work feul pump working. Replaced clutch interlock switch under dash. Still not turning over.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

60,000. No issues. drove car to work and would not start that evening.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sunfire yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. only the clutch saftey. and adjusted pedal to be sure it was pressing switch fully.

1/19/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Are you saying that the engine does not crank over at all?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Is this a 2.2 or a 2.4 liter engine?

Correct. When you turn the key you can here fuel pump engage. all accessories work and battery is only six months old with 12.8 volts. Press clutch in and turn switch to start and nothing happens.
2.2

Thank you.

One moment please

First, all of the fuses should be checked and verified as good.

Also, have you tried jumping the clutch pedal switch? If not, I would try this next. Maybe the clutch switch is faulty.

If the problem persists, this could simply just be a faulty starter motor (which is very common).

Already put a new clutch switch in it and have checked all ignition fuses and relays as being good. Have not had any signs of starter issues when started that morning it worked flawlessly.

Right. The starter can go bad all of a sudden. We see this in the shop all of the time.

Any chance it would be the ignition switch?

YES it is possible.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Which wire at the clutch switch should recieve the voltage from the ignition switch. There is a yellow and a purple.

Yellow wire

Ok. So if I check that wire while turning switch and receive no voltage I could assume that it is the ignition switch. If I do have voltage there and it passes through to the purple then I could assume it would be the starter.

Yes sir you got it!

Ok . Sorry for any confusion. I am also a mechanic. I just work on a different breed of machine without all these gadgets.

No problem sir. I am happy to help.

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician