Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

This morning the driver's door on my 2009 G6 won't close. It…

This morning the driver's...

This morning the driver's door on my 2009 G6 won't close. It was a little sticky from cold but opened with a little tug.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I only tried the interior and exterior handles to make sure they weren't stuck

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I live in the Chicago area and it is 15 degrees. I got a car wash yesterday, not sure if this affected the door.

1/18/2018
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

when you went to close the door did it bang back open?

did it latch at all?

if not usually what happens is the latch starts to close on its own and when the door is closed it closes the latch before actually grabbing the striker, look at the latch on the door and see if it is open like a open bird beak,

usually you can use a pen, put it in the opening and push outwards and at the same time pull the door handle to get it to open back up and then you can close the door.

see if that helps If i am on the same page as to what you are experiencing.

thanks, Lou

This has never happened before.
It is not latching at all, it just pops back open.Will your fix above help this issue?

oh ok, can you show me a picture?

can you latch it with your fingers?

this does happen , especially when cold, the issue is the inside of the latch rusts and when the latch opens the internals do not move to allow it to catch again

Sure, it will take me a minute.No I can't latch with my fingers. I had to tie my door closed to get to work.

i have removed and actually lubricated a few of them, some really bad ones i just replace.

there is nothing you can spray externally the latch will have to be removed and then the you can see the movable parts inside that can be sprayed to lubricate.

what can happen to is that when you do get it to latch it might not unlock for you!!!!

so i would get this taken care of sooner than later.

these latches are very problematic.

all 3 scenarios happen all the time.

will you be repairing yourself or having a shop do it?

If it's not too much work, my husband will repair

its not, actually very easy, let me get you some instructions :)

is this the coupe or the 4 door sedan?

i had a 06 GT coupe, miss it dearly.

best car i ever purchased.

4 door sedan

ok good deal!

I will still get you the repair instructions , almost done with them

:)

Great, thank you

ok here you go, hope it all works out for you :)

if you need anything in the future please let me know.

Lou

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back. If you feel I have earned one, BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED, Thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician