Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I bought factory replacement speakers for a 99 Pontiac Grand…

I bought factory replacement...

I bought factory replacement speakers for a 99 Pontiac Grand AM GT. The factory speakers had two connectors but the new speakers have one. How can I get the factory am to kick in if it's not connected. The speakers work with just one connector connected but I want the amp to be used as well. Can I splice in the amp wires into the speaker wires to power the am on?

1/13/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Can you send pictures of the new and old speakers as well as the harness that plugs into them ?

unfortunately I cant see anything from the glare of the window, can you send some better pictures?

That's all I have for right now...I'll take better ones tomorrow and send them

sounds good well get it figured out no worries

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Pontiac Mechanic

Did you still need help on this??

Thank you for the response..........
What Radio do you have in the Grand AM?
Factory or Aftermarket?
IF Aftermarket, what is the Brand & Model Number?
What is the Brand & Model / Part Number of the New Speakers?

It is 7:15 pm Central......
I have to Log off now
Will check back in am
Thank You

Aftermarket Pioneer
Model: MVH-290BT
The speakers are AC Delco(###) ###-####

Thank you for the added info..........
Looking at the pictures you posted, and IF you have the Pioneer correctly wired up front, your wires are totally wrong in rear
You have it wired as "Common Ground"
GM, Pioneer & many other Aftermarket Radios use "Floating Ground" type Internal Amplifiers
Most Radios since the 1990's are NOT "Common Ground" any longer
Meaning:
Floating Ground Radios have "Independent Outputs & Internal Ground" to each Speaker
You CANNOT mix the Outputs or Grounds with each other, as you show in your first picture
You have the Right & Left connected to each other
This can cause a Internal failure of the Radio or AMP

Constant 12V+ = Orange
Switched 12V+ = Yellow
Ground = Black
Illumination = Gray
Dimmer = Brown
Antenna Trigger = Pink

Front Speakers
Left Front (+) =Tan
Left Front (-) = Gray
Right Front (+) = Light Green
Right Front (-) = Dark Green

Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) = Brown
Left Rear (-) = Yellow
Right Rear (+) = Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) = Light Blue

You CANNOT mix any of these wires together, as they are independent to each Speaker (+) & (-)

.

The factory speakers had two connectors but the new speakers have one

??
.

I do not have Delco(###) ###-####Speaker in front of me, but IF there is only "ONE" Connector, which would be the (+) Connector, then the Speaker is "Case Grounded" (-) which means you CANNOT use the Delco(###) ###-####Speaker, because your Pioneer is NOT "Common Ground" Output......It is "Floating Ground" Output.
IF you "have to use" the Delco(###) ###-####Speakers, you will need to modify the Case Ground or use a "Floating Ground" to Common Ground Adapter, which would be more hassle than replacing the Speakers with Aftermarket 6x9's

.

Let me know if you need further or if there is anything you do not understand

.

The pictures I sent you were the setup before I rewired it and installed the AC Delco speakers. He had someone attempt to install aftermarket that didn't know what they were doing. I went to the salvage yard and pulled to connectors from a grand prix that matched the wires from the 99 Grand AM that I have. I then connected them wire for wire with only two of the four. The ACDelcos work, they are just not wired with the other two wires because the speakers have only one connector. The speakers work I just am unable to utilize the factory amp because the i don't know how to wire the other two in.

Thanks for the added info...........
The Factory AMP may not be able to be used with the Pioneer, as it depends on the Output of the Pioneer
These are the only Diagrams I have for the Factory AMP
Click Attachments Below
IF your Pioneer has RCA OUTPUTS for Rear, you could use a Left / Right RCA Harness, connect to the Pioneer Rear Right & Left Output & cut the Plugs off the other ends that go to the AMP
Connect the Center lead (typically RED = right & WHITE = Left) to the Right & Left Inputs (+) of the AMP
Connect the Shield to the Right & Left Inputs (-) of the AMP
Then wire Speakers as the Diagrams show
OR
Try the Left & Right Speaker Rear Outputs of the Pioneer & wire as the Diagrams show

.

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works,
You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping..
I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses..
Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issue is resolved..

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.

Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Pontiac Mechanic