Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Rough idle at 200 degrees running temp, wants to stall.

Customer Question
Rough idle at 200...

Rough idle at 200 degrees running temp, wants to stall

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Interrmiten

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2001 SE 2.4ltr

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yep changed map sensor and hose

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't believe so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pontiac
1/11/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Im guessing this is a grand am?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2001 se 2.4

that dosent tell me the model, do you have a vin I can look it up that way

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1G2NF52T31M585907
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.4 l

ok so I would start with a throttle body clean and MAF sensor clean, there are special sprays for this you can get any any auto parts store. Make sure to clean throttle body until there is no residue left, I like to use a tooth brush it seems to work the best. After that pull negative battery cable then positive touch both cable ends together for 1 min and then wait 15 more install positive then negative and start car and see how it does

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician