Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Had transmission replaced still won't shift to second gear.

Customer Question
Had transmission replaced still...

Had transmission replaced still won't shift to second gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

It was flushed and replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2005 Bonneville

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Bonneville yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had someone else but not a garage

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The transmission was slipping for about six months especially after getting off the expressway

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pontiac
1/7/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: Gary, Pontiac Technician replied 6 months ago
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

does the speedometer work ?

are there ANY codes set in the computer at all ?

The speedometer works

are there any codes at all ?

reverse works fine and you are sure it takes off in first gear and just stays in 1st gear or will it shift out of first and second gear acts like neutral or is missing ?

Check engine light is on

can you have the codes read ?

No don't know I'm an old lady

and this is a new transmission or a rebuilt one ? or was your old one rebuilt and put back in the car ?

Rebuilt

ok this is going to come down to 1 of 2 things

1 ) the check engine light is on with transmission or a TPS code which would cause no upshift and is usually a bad TPS or wiring to the transmission or a bad computer

2 ) the rebuild was done wrong or something was missed during the rebuild and that is why you still have the same problem

i would get this back to the shop that rebuilt it and have them pull the codes and recheck the work they did

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Whats a tps?

throttle position sensor on the engine that reads where the throttle is if that is reading wrong it will not upshift

how are you making out ?