Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Pontiac Montana. Problem: it won't start, the…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Pontiac Montana

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

Problem: it won't start, the security light came on

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

No. I don't know how to do that. I had a guy to give me a jump, the van came in, I drove around the block a few times no problem. As soon as I turn the van off, it will not turn back on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The red light normally blinks when I tur. The van off but now it does not.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pontiac
1/7/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: john aka eaut, The Car Guy replied 4 months ago
john aka eaut
john aka eaut, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
are you familiar with the 30 minute relearn?

No I am not familiar. Willing to learn.

You must perform the relearn procedure manually.

Follow the directions EXACTLY as specified. If this does not work, you have further problems with the theft system.

30-MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE BATTERY FULLY CHARGED!!!

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes , the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes . The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password. IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

If you have access to the factory scantool you can perform a 10 minute relearn procedure.

Is the telltale the red blinking light?

no its generally a padlock light

are you sure its just not a dead battery?

Where would the padlock light be located? The light I was referring to is by the radio and ac controls. When the van is off it blinks. I believe I comprehend the procedure. I do not have access to a scan toll though.

thats not the light...from all your sqaying it sounds like a weak/ dead battery to me..i would have the battery tested and replace if required

No its not a dead battery, I just got this battery last year.
Ok I'll have it tested, then if its ok then I'll do the relearn test.

yes sounds good....if it takes a jump start its a battery issue

I had it jumped earlier, it worked but then when I turned it off, the power went away.
Oh when it was jumped, while I was driving, the security light was on and solid. What could that be?

the red light?

can you try another jump and tell me if that works?

No it is the light to the far left by the speedometer, gas meter, etc under the steering wheel. The light is yellow.
Its where, also the oil check, brake fluid etc. The all in one indicator.

can u post a image?

k

I'm sorry its too dark outside, can't find my flashlight. Can we get up tomorrow?

yes

I'll reach out after 12pm. Thanks a lot
Its fixed, it was the starter cable. Thanks for everything
john aka eaut
john aka eaut
john aka eaut, The Car Guy