Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Attempted starting only clicked. Put a charger on it I

Customer Question
Attempted starting only clicked ...

Attempted starting only clicked

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Put a charger on it I allowed it to charge for a bit

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

Came back and attempted it again and the inside went haywires, all kinds of activity with or without the swith being on

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pontiac?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Locate where its smoking near the steering column

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Or in

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pontiac
1/6/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch/ pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch/ starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

what about the smoke coming from the steering column\dash area and sounds coming from the same area now whether or not the key is in the on position?
I need instructions to disassemble the steering column
you want a credit before answering?

Sorry but I don't have that information

I'll opt out to open this up to others

Matt, Engineer