Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1995 pontiac sunfire n my won't unlock my steering…

Customer Question
I have a 1995...

I have a 1995 pontiac sunfire n my hey won't unlock my steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

Ok just need wheel bearings that I was on the way to get

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sunfire yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I just tried to turn the key but it want turn n I turn the wheel one want gilded it than tried the other way still want unlock I even hit on the ignition to try n free it up but still want unlock

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes how can I just bust the lock so I can crank with screw driver it's an old car

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pontiac
1/6/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you tried pulling on the steering wheel in both directions while turning key?

I have I also used wd40 and tapping on the key and look
I just need to know how and what I need to break or bust the lock so I can just u a screwdriver to crank it
I can drive the car

ok im looking that up now

Ok

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9motia5l7fuhxh0/sat1.docx?dl=0

OK here are the removal procedures for the ignition lock, let me know if your able to open it

you still there?

trying to see what u sent

are you on a computer?

my phone
once I take it out will I be able to crank it with screw

no there is a vats system that will prevent you from doing that, you should be able to get a new lock cyl and it will fix the issue, heres a video on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKfn7J9CeZM

hows it going?

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician