Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When filling the tank pump handle wants to shut off from the…

Customer Question
When filling the tank...

When filling the tank pump handle wants to shut off from the get go. Takes forever to fill up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids recently?

Yes, no deficiencies there.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2006 Pontiac Solstice

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Solstice yourself? What have you tried so far?

No not interested. Just want to have a clue before I go to the dealership.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else thanks.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pontiac
1/4/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The issue that you are having is going to be the EVAP canister. This a common issue with many different vehicles. What happens is the canister fails and is unable to absorb the fuel vapors leaving the tank with too much pressure. This is why when you try to fuel the tank the gas does want to go in and actually wants to come back out. The vapor already has it too full. Another cause for this would be the vent valve located on the canister. This component allows for vent of the canister and if it is stuck closed, then you will experience the same issue. I would usually replace both at once and cleaning the tank. This will guarantee no further issue. In order to access these components, the tank will need to be removed.

Here I have provided the location and replacement information for the canister along with the labor and part pricing. The labor pricing is listed in hours and depends on the hourly rate of the shop.

Here I am attaching the location and replacement information of the vent valve.

To cure this issue, you will need to replace these components.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.