Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 99' Pontiac Montana, I have a number of problems…

Customer Question
I have a 99'...

I have a 99' Pontiac Montana

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a number of problems actually

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes I have P0118, P0449, P0452 codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P0452 Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor /Switch Low

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

Click on link to view pdf file for DTC P0118,4452 & 459 Troubleshoot steps needed to repair these fault

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do have a power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent to retrieve faults codes for vehicle modules ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I am hoping some of it can be done myself, if not I will take it to a local shop. All the tools I have is a Code Reader
Somethings I've noticed, heater is heating, when you go to start it, it seems very hesitant before actually turning over. I did notice some backfire when you first start it and I accelerate.
After it is running for a few minutes, if you go to put it in drive, the Battery light comes on and the engine stalls out.

1-The P0118 most likely ECT ,engine coolant temp sensor sensor or wiring to, it , replace it after checking connector ,the hesitation from start is the ect causing that

it tells computer how warm is the engine and based on that the computer adjust air fuel ratio, so that is common on them

2-the other fault are evoprative , like gas cap, fuel canister , vacuum lines leaking ,will need a smoke test to find what is leaking and replace it

3- Battery light coming on , you need to check for good 12 volts at battery and 14 volts when running ,is the alternator weak, take to local parts store to check battery and alternator they do it for free

4-.check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold and clean the TB body if stalling out also if you never done it

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

ECT replacement Steps

If I take this to a local shop, are most of these issues inexpensive?
Would this also cause the heater not to work?

is the heater blower not working or the not enough heat ?

does the heat gets warmed rev it up or driving down the road

It blows it's just cold air that blows out.
When you rev it or drive it, it doesn't heat up.

if the heater not blowing warm and is full of coolant, drain, flush and bleed coolant system with revers flush on the heater core

if the blower motor inside cab not working then the blower motor resistor or blower itself needs testing ,a lot of times the connector on the blower melts

worst case , heater core clogged up, that could be expensive , like $500

if it needs bleeding and flusharound $125 '

Can I do anything with the heater myself or does this need to be done professionally?
What about everything else as far as the other codes, such as the other issues you mentioned above, would those be inexpensive at a local shop?

you can buy a revers flush kit for the heater core at local parts store with that kit and garden hose you can flush yourself and refill and bleed system and see if you get heat back, over they years they get clogged up and flsuhing or replacement will be required, but u start with flush

the other faults ,are not expensive to fix,and are what we call emission related it want effect the car driving , the most important is the P0118 ECT sensor

Please let me know if you have other question,I ll be happy to answer

Please do not forget to Rate Me Using the Stars On Top Of your Screen before You exit so I m credited for my time and resources .

Thank you

Is the P0118 ECT sensor, the one you sent me the replacement instructions on?
Also I don't think I asked about the back firing, can you tell me what would cause the back firing?

yes sir

back firing , lack of fuel , plugs ,wires , and or a vacuum leak .

you have to start with ect for the back firing and hard start and vacuum test for the other faults , will be my advice and clear faults and see what comes back if any

Can you help me find the reverse flushing kitting for the heater core?

have you replaced fuel filter before

click on ink to view location

do you see that box next to fuel filter ,check the vacum lines for cracks on that box

this is regular Flushing procedure

the reverse flushing ,instruction will be on kit ,each kit will be different and i do not know which one you buying

what else you need ?

Will any of these issues need an actual mechanic to work on?

expect flushing you can do

, the rest of the stuff yes you need a mechanic , since you need tools and scanner and smoke machine

if I call the mechanic and he asks me whats wrong, what would be a good detailed answer to give him?
I don't want them to try and pull a fast one on me, I know how some of them can be.

1-ask him that you need Coolant replaced and revers flushed to clean heater core and refill and bleed ,ask how much $125

2- ect replacement ,how much $100

3- Smoke test to see what is causing the P0449,452 ? how much , around $75

4-If you need heater core replacement around $500

then you can compare prices

hopefully that will work for you

I have answered all your questions ,so Please Rate The Expert That Assist you by using the Stars On Top Of Your Screen And if you have more questions ,Just ask me

Thank you

Just test drove the van, it does heat then get cold again

then we have a restriction on heater ,do the flushing might solve it or make it better