Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Put the key in the ignition but it won't turn to start.

Customer Question
Put the key in...

Put the key in the ignition but it won't turn to start. Seems locked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes. Key is good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2004 grand am sedan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Am yourself? What have you tried so far?

Went to get the fuse out as blinkers werent working. Then went to start and nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Just need to figure out Why starter won't turn with Key in it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pontiac
1/3/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

are you saying that you cannot turn the key physically from the off position to the on or crank position?

It worked earlier this morning. Then went to fuse box to get out blinker fuse and now it is locked.

ok, gotcha, did you try to move the steering wheel ? sometimes the key is turned off when the wheel is too tight against a turn angle and it locks the cylinder.

Steering wheel moves.

ok, can you try and push the shifter further into park?

its odd that the steering wheel moves. BUT these ignitions are known for sticking either on or off.

Can't get into on position.

ok, the ignition will need to be replaced. :(

it was just a coincidence with the fuse thing .

that will have no effect on this.

you will need to remove and replace the ignition .

Lou

I will send you over instructions on how to replace it.

Lou

here you go, you will most likely be able to get the cylinder to turn if you keep messing with it and wiggling it, but here is the procedure to remove it, you might want to just get the cylinder and the passlock together since it will be tough to remove. hope this helps.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified