Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

The light for reduce engine power came on and there is very…

Customer Question
The light for reduce...

The light for reduce engine power came on and there is very little power to my vehicle. It is a 2004 pontiac grand prix

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Reduced engine power message

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything and I am not with the car. My son has it and he is 5 hours away.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

He had trouble starting it and then it would idle and then stop. Once he got it going he could only travel about 20 kilometers per hour.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pontiac
1/2/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

In addition to the reduced power message is the check engine light on? Flashing?

Does the vehicle seem to be running hotter than normal?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am checking with my son about the check engine light. It was not running hotter than normal.

Usually the vehicle will go into reduced power mode when:

the engine overheats

the transmission detects a fault

the engine has multiple misfires

the fuel pump is too weak to pump the correct fuel pressure

The presence of the check engine light will help determine which of these might be happening.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is quite a number of options. What would you suggest I do?

First I would check all of the fluid levels. Make sure nothing is low. Also make sure the coolant hoses aren't cold while the engine is hot (this would indicate frozen coolant).

Make sure he didn't just fill up on gas recently- sometimes contaminated fuel will cause off of these symptoms rather than an actual problem with the vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The check engine light was also on.

If nothing looks out of place as far as the fluids go you might need to have him take it somewhere and scan for codes to see what is triggering the reduced power mode. Most parts stores will do this for free. Then we can determine what to look at from there. Otherwise there are too many potential causes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help. I will have him get it checked out.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician