Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am still having trouble with the no crank, nio start in my…

Customer Question
Second opinion] i am still...
Second opinion] i am still having trouble with the no crank, nio start in my 97 grand am
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

What have you done so far in an attempt to address this?

Which engine?

97 pontiac grand am 2.4l 4 door se. no crank, no start. checked battery, jumped it, also used jump box, everything looks normal on dash, indicators even change when key is turned to start, but no crank. checked fuses, (no relay in 97's), jumpered solenoid, still no crank. Your expert had me get a new starter which i just finished installing. still no action, same behavior. have not yet bench tested starter out of car with a battery, but new starter is same behavior.
34;call me" is less than ideal at the moment.

If you use a tool or wire and jump it across both wires at the starter will it crank?

that is the test that i did yesterday and it was no good. i have not tested yet today with the new starter.

Can you try it with the new starter? If nothing happens is the large wire to the starter showing 12.6 volts?

i did get it to crank by jumping the solenoid wire to the battery lead on the starter. i think that the old starter may be fine. i have not bench tested it, but nothing has changed since installing the new starter and i don't think that i gave the old starter enough of an in-car jumper-ed-terminal test. so, not the battery, not the fuses (are those four sixty amp fuses in the egine compartment fuse block easy to visually tell that they are good?), not the starter or solenoid, what's next?
I am going to go see if I can find the PRNDL switch and the NSS and then verify the fuses. Please do tell me more.
Still looking to fix my no crank, no start problem on my 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 2.4L 4 cyl 4 door SE
Pontiac Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Could be a faulty ignition switch.

where is the prndl switch and how do i test it/find it? thanks.

The switch is on the side of the transmission where the shift cable attaches to the transmission shift lever. You could test is with a volt meter set to measure resistance.

Please click on a 3 star or higher rating. Thanks

I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated. This question will automatically time out after 7 days.

Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more. A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping this information was helpful.

Thanks.