Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 1997 Grand AM SE, straight 2.4L 4 door automatic…

Customer Question
I have a 1997 Grand...
I have a 1997 Grand AM SE, straight 2.4L 4 door automatic that won't start. I was last on a hill when I put it into park and the shifting seemed weird. I thought it was that I had waited a while before turning off and had drained the battery, but that clearly is not the problem. No crank, no start when I turn the key, but several dash indicators change, so I don't think that there is a "getting into start position" problem with the ignition switch. I have experienced the passlock problem, so I'm pretty sure that it isn't part of the problem. Am going to try to start it by jumping the starter solenoid, but it could be the PRNDL switch, the NSS switch, the starter relay, or the starter itself I suppose.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

take the starter relay out. the prongs should be numbered 30,87,86,85. make a jumper wire and put one end in slot 30 and the other in slot 87.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure thing. I have a multi-meter and the car is in front of the house here in SF, Ca, so I will be running back and forth with info and directions. Got the above. Specifically, where is the starter relay in my Grand Am? Is that in the fuse block near the battery?

standby

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no thanks. it will be easier for me to do it this way. thx

ignore the pop ups

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
got the diagram. will go look. and putting this chat on my android as well.

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got onto Firefox on Android, have stylus and camera and a multimeter. Have removed and visually examined all six large fuses in block and none appear obviously blown. Do I need to image and send you pic or will a blown one be obvious from a side view?

not necessary

have you tried to start it in neutral?

??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried in neutral and did just now again. Same result. Additional info: when the key is moved to Start, dash lights and such change, so I think the computer is aware of the start attempt.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pics: hood fuses. Various car shots.
IMG_20171230_133134966.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171230_133200285.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171230_133214302.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171230_133234462.jpgIMG_201...jpg

ok, time to jump across the starter from the large terminal to smaller terminal

yes, where the smaller wire connects to

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, good spark, no noise or action at all. Tried with and w/o key in run position (in run, there was slightly more activity, but certainly not cranking). Solenoid bad?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I have had full cranking sound?

starter assembly bad

you are putting 12 volts directly to the solenoid by doing that. just make sure the large cable has 12 volts on it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
These? https://m.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter?searchText=starter (with 1997 Pontiac Grand_Am 4_cyl_2.4l selected)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just checked and is indeed getting solid +12V on larger terminal. Procedure for replacement? Gonna have to do it myself. Please stay with me.

ok, if the large cable has 12vdc, and you jumped the 12vdc to the smaller wires terminal and the starter did not crank, you need to replace the starter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the ones from autozone the correct types etc? I understand i am going to have to jack it up, but there are only two bolts and those few lugs coeenting it, right?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
connecting

correct, and please do not buy one from autozone

please note customer satisfaction is my number one goal and leaving 3 stars or more rating for me will allow us to continue this dialogue until you are completely satisfied.and your vehicle is fixed. you may ask as many questions as you'd like at no extra charges. thank you have a great day

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was just using autozone as quick example. What about this one? https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEW-STARTER-FOR-1996-1997-1998-2-4L-BUICK-SKYLARK-CHEVROLET-CAVALIER-OLDSMOBILE-ACHIEVA-PONTIAC-GRAND-AM-SUNFIRE/167530956#read-more

that'll work

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what size socket do i need for those bolts?

i believe they are 14mm or 15mm

i think 1 is bigger than the other. it might be a 13mm and a 15mm

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
as i look on the autozone websdite, it looks like there are three bolts which can't be right. should i be safe and get 13, 14, and 15 mm sockets?
---
got this starter, jump starter, and socket sethttps://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/duralast-starter/193540_23521_0
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/battery-booster-jump-starter-pack/duralast-700-amp-jump-starter-with-inflator/720568_0_0
https://www.autozone.com/ratchets-sockets-and-wrenches/ratchet-and-socket-set/great-neck-52-pcs-ratchet-and-socket-set/10890_0_0

the links didn't work but there are only 2 bolts

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the starter wasb replaced, but the behavior has not changed. could there be more than one problem? i tried a bench test and got the same result as before out of the car.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just read up on starter bench testing and i think i did it right, but i did use a battery box, so it may not have been a good test.
(Duralast Jump Start box)

take the starter to the parts store and have them test it.

Pontiac Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Do you still need help?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician