Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Sunfire. Replaced the stepper motors. Reinstalled

Customer Question
2003 Sunfire. Replaced the...

2003 Sunfire. Replaced the stepper motors. Reinstalled instrument cluster and now none of the gauges will move. The turn signals work, the panel backlights when the haedlamps are turned on. I've checked and replaced both 10 amp fuses.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

You mean the one under the hood? or is there another besides that and the one on the left side of the dash?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sunfire yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the stepper motors on the instrument cluster.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I replaced the four stepper motors on the instrument cluster.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pontiac
I've disconnected the battery and let it set for 10 minutes plus. I've held in the mileage reset button and turned the key to accessories - one source said that would be a reset - still nothing. If I put the high beams on they turn on but the high beam symbol doesn't show in the cluster.
12/29/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Todd Audette, Pontiac Technician replied 6 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Pontiac Technician

Hi my name is*****'m an A.S.E Certified Master Technician with 30 + yrs GM experience. I'm reviewing you question and would be happy to assist you.

Were all of the gauges inoperative before you replaced the motors

The temperature gauge. But when I pulled/removed the needles, two of the gauges metal pin stayed in the needle shaft. Plus the stepper motor housing of the tachometer pulled apart. I replaced all four stepper motors.
I do not wish to call you. Are you still going to help me?