Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Pontiac grand am with 3.4 engine. It all

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...
Hi, I have a 2004 Pontiac grand am with 3.4 engine. It all started with the 1st problem, the water pump went bad and I replaced it. After the replacement I went to start the car and then the key would not turn. It was stuck. Then the battery went bad and replaced it as well.I went to junk yard and purchased a used switch and cylinder. after I installed i8t the key would now turn. When the key is turned to start the car their is no click and the car will not crank over. All the dash lights come on when I turn the key as well as the security light but it's not flashing. No crank.I pulled the module out of the under the hood fuse box, and swapped it with another one I found in there that fit and then tried again to start the car, still no crank?I found a trick on Youtube and jumped the car by pulling out the crank module again and then stuck a paperclip in 2 of the slots with the key on, the car then cranked over and started. It then stalled. I tried a few times and even tried revving it up by the gas pedal cable under the hood it would rev up a few times then stall. It was as if the system shuts the fuel pump off?I then was thinking it may be a passlock security problem. I did the 10 minute trick with the key a few times, and it still wouldn't crank?Last things, When replacing the ignition switch I took the radio panel off then removed the 3 bolts and with some messing around I managed to pull the 2 wire harnesses off, the cable piece off, but could not remove the 3 security wires "White Yellow, Black wires....because of the key being stuck and couldn't turn the key to release the cylinder, to get the whole thing out I cut those 3 passlock wires. I then was able to pull it all out...Next I installed the used assembly, plugged everything in I reconnected the 3 wires I cut by twisting them together and tapping it all up. Tried turning it over and no crank still. Did the 10 minute thing 3 times and still no crank...I'm thinking maybe the used ignition switch and assembly may not be any good? I haven't found another to test as of yet,What do you think is going on with this?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pontiac
12/28/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

when you turn the key to the start position is the security light going out?

No
No the security light stays on

ok and since the 30 minute relearn didn't work and you have a different key and cylinder you will need to have the key programmed. there's nothing else you can do.

the transponder is not recognizing the key

Hi, I have a few keys that came with the ignition, I tried them and neither one would get it to crank. 1 key I can pull out of ignition after I turn it to on position?

I

Sorry I don't have my phone right now

just ignore the pop ups....I would get a new key lock cylinder and key. the one from the junkyard apparently isn't any good either

in not with the car either
OK I'll try that tomorrow and I'll let you know.... Thanks

you're welcome. dont forget that you will need to have the key programmed.

I just reread everything and didn't read about the key needs to be programmed. Is this an expensive process? Would it be cheaper to buy another used or new one?

standby

since you cut the wires and re-spliced them, its the same as replacing the transponder which requires recoding and programming.

procedure

Hi David,Can you please give me the correct ignition passlock learning procedure? I think I may have done it wrong before. I just want to make sure I did it correctly. Trying to save $100 for a Pontiac dealer to do it....

sure

hows it going?

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician