Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 1999 grand am gt with the 3.4 V6. It stopped

Customer Question
running while driving. Changed the...
I have a 1999 grand am gt with the 3.4 V6. It stopped running while driving. Changed the battery to a brand new battery. Changed the starter to brand new starter. The car will not turn over. I am lost here. Any idea what it might be?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pontiac
12/22/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, does the engine crank over???

Roy

No

ok, do you have a voltmeter to do some checks??

do the interior lights and accessories work???

Roy

Don’t have a volt meter but lights and accessories all work. I just put in a brand new battery

ok

need to test voltage at the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start. can you get a test light or voltmeter??

possible causes

1. bad starter

2. starter relay

3. fuse for the relay

4. neutral safety switch

5. wire harness issue

6. ignition switch

this is why you need a test light or voltmeter

Roy

be back in a little bit

do you have any other questions??

Pontiac Mechanic: Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

any update??

Roy Belding
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician