Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Pontiac Montana steering column was smashed due to

Customer Question
trying to start van without...
2002 Pontiac Montana steering column was smashed due to trying to start van without key I replaced whole steering column with a used one and cannot get van to start with the key however if I jump the starter solenoid the van will start and run for a few seconds and then shut off, I try the 10 minute key relearn procedure and still wont relearn it what would happen if I bought a junkyard ecm and put it into my van ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pontiac
12/17/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

You do not need to replace the ecm, you have to do a 30 minute relearn, here are the steps.

Do you still have the old key? You will need to use the transponder from the old key to get it to start as well.

I still have the old key ... I tried the 3p min relearn a couple different times and it doesn't work ... what doesn't make sense is when I turn the key to the on position the only light that comes in is the service engine soon light ... wait 10 secs then everything else turns on same thing when I turn the key off and pull the key out on thing that goes off right away is the service engine soon light

The problem is the new key that cam with the column has a transponder in it that the bcm does not recognize. You need to remove the plastic on the top of the new key, and then tape the old key to the new key so the exciter can see only the old transponder.

Do not break the plastic off of your old key or you will damage the transponder.

The plastic on the old key is already half broken .. but I guess it will still work ? So when I tape the old key to the new key do I still need to do the 30 min relearn ? AND will I always have to keep the old key taped the the new one ?

Yes you will have to do the relearn I posted. As for the key, you can take it to a lock smith and have them make you two new keys, but yes till you have new keys made, you will have to keep the key taped to it. Now another option is you can have the lock smith recode the lock cylinder to your old key o you can still use just the old key in the new lock.

I have a parts van ... would it just be easier to use rhe ecm out of the parts van in the van I'm trying to getto run ?

NO. The pcm out of the other van will not have the vin number encoded into it and the van will not recognize it. Now you can try this and see if it will work, break the plastic off of the new key, then tape the old key as close to the lock cylinder as you can and see if the exciter can pick it up.

Trying to do the relearn now aND I've left the key on for 20 mind avd rge security light still has yet to go out

Do you have the new transponder removed form the new key?

it is removed and no where near the van I just taped the old key to the new one like u said

Did you try to start it with the old transponder on the new key?

Do this for me. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. and then try the relearn again. Make sure to go from off straight to start, then let the key go back to run and see what the security light does.

Same thing security light doesn't go out

Are yu sure you have everything plugged up under the column?

everything is plugged in

Do you have the cover off around the column?

Only thing that isn't plugged in is the yellow air bag wire ... and top part is on bottom part is off due it its smashed to pieces

Can you post a pic of the column so I can see around the ignition lock cylinder please?

Do u want me to remove the top cover to take a pic?

The bottom being off should be good enough.

Here are a few pics and a videos showing howing how the dash lights are delay while gray plug is plugged in
20171217_165844.jpg2017121...jpg20171217_165151.jpg2017121...jpg20171217_165054.jpg2017121...jpg20171217_165146.jpg2017121...jpg

Can you tape the old key to the black plastic box that sits over the lock cylinder and try the relearn again, but this time disconnect the battery for 10 minutes first, so the bcm can clear its memory?

Just tape it on top of it ?

To the flat part on the side.

Just above the sticker.

OK I will try that and get back to u

Ok