Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Reading up on how to remove the alternator bracket on my 3.5…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. Reading...

Hi Pearl. Reading up on how to remove the alternator bracket on my 3.5 litre g6 gt. Ron just says "remove bracket" but the doesn't say how. I seemed to have removed all of the bolts but the bracket won't budge. Thinking there is a hidden bolt.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Pontiac G6 GT. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I'm replace the valve cover gasket and the bracket in the the way. Same problem somebody else had and asked him about on this page. "replacing..."not "replace."

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

What year is your G6

2007. The alternator bracket needs to be removed to access the back valve cover. I have removed/loosened 5 bolts and it won't budge.
Are you still there?

Ok, did you remove the idler pulley and the tensioner

here are the full directions to remove the bracket

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I removed the pulley. The actual "tensioner" is down on the bottom, the one that is sprung. However there is another pulley below the fist one that looks like a tensioner. I just looked at it and it looks like there is another bolt behind the second pulley....maybe 13mm...like the one that is behind the water pump pulley. I may have missed that one.

Hi, that is the bolt you are missing.

Your directions/diagram are incorrect. It's a 3.5 litre, not an L4.
If it was an L4 I would have finished the sob by now and we would be talking...
Wait...I guess LZ 4 doesn't mean l-4 cylinder....sorry....
Eric,The diagram was incomplete and the directions were not specific enough. I figured it out myself. The alternator "bracket" is actually more than that, it's a piece that goes across the entire front of the engine and also has a housing for water inlets/outlets. It's almost a foot an 1/2 long and has several more bolts that was is indicated on the diagram. Sorry, but your information did not help me solve the problem. However, than you for your time.
I mean. "thank you" for your time...

Glad you were able to get and sorry that the directions were incomplete. Have a safe Holiday season

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager