Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2005 Pontiac G6 GT with 170,000 miles randomly shuts off…

Customer Question
My 2005 Pontiac G6...

My 2005 Pontiac G6 GT with 170,000 miles randomly shuts off while driving. I pull off the road and it starts right back up. Did it once this morning and once in the evening, first time it has ever done it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Headlights on...brand new battery less than 1 year ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G6 GT yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, not myself...just researching what the possible problem could be.. i just had it inspected last saturday

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The starter may be bad, it tends to mis-start about 1/3 of the time

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pontiac
12/13/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Did it shut off going down the road? or were you stopped or coming to a stop when it stalled with your foot off the gas? thank you.

first time I was semi braking as i pulled into a lot to park in a garage....second time, i was just coming across train tracks, don't really think I had my foot on brake, most likely on gas but not positive

Alright, and have you seen the check engine light come on? or any other warning lights stay on in the instrument cluster since this problem occurred?

no lights on the instrument cluster

Alright, the first thing I would do, is have the computer scanned for any trouble codes, with no lights that is a good sign there are no codes stored in the engine computer, but I would still check it just to be 100% sure. You could stop by a local auto parts store and have them do that for you. If there are any codes stored, that will be a good place to start to help pinpoint what is at fault. If there are no codes stored, then we likely either have a dirty throttle body, which needs to be cleaned. Or possibly a weak fuel pump not giving enough fuel pressure at idle, but if the pump is weak, then usually it won't have really good pick up, likely getting on the interstate or when you really get into it to pass somebody, usually then is when it will bog or stumble, With this particular problem, I would start with checking the codes and cleaning the throttle body, make sure the air filter is clean as well. I believe following those steps will give you good results. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.