Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

1999 pontiac bonneville cranks but no start, flooding fuel…

Customer Question
1999 pontiac bonneville cranks...

1999 pontiac bonneville cranks but no start, flooding fuel coming out of throttle body. I have changed the uim,the whole coil system. The car shows rpm movement when cranking. It has spark and fuel. I am at a loss.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I have only heard the car run once since purchase and the intake manifold was bad so I changed that. But it has not started since.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Bonneville yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced upper intake manifold, coil packs as well as the control module. Replaced throttle body and fuel injectors.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pontiac
12/13/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Have you checked the fuel pressure to see if its within specs? Normal pressure is 38 to 52 PSI.

If you pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator is there any signs of fuel in the line?

Okay if it pushing fuel out of the throttle body have you ran a compression test on all cylinders?

When I got the car started it had good compression and ran great but I flooded the car adding water because of the bad manifold. Now that I resolved all of that I can't get it to start again.

Are you sure the spark plugs are not just fuel fouled, if so then remove them and dry them out and spin the engine over a few time with them out to clear excess fuel and then reinstall them and see if it will start?

Ok so we dryers the plugs out and ended up having to pull the upper intake manifold again because it wasn't seated right. When we got all that done it fired right up, but now we have a check engine light that flashes. Any suggestions on that and thanks for your help

The check engine light flashing means the computer is seeing a direct engine misfire. Have you scanned the system to see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician