Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It saying it won't start due to theft system. Not bad the…

Customer Question
It saying it won't...

It saying it won't start due to theft system

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Not bad the black one is a little bit not the red

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I've tried doing is cranking it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pontiac
12/12/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Pete, Pontiac Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Pontiac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What model Pontiac is this vehicle?

Are you using the same key that has always started the engine in the past?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Grand Prix and yea same key

Perform this procedure below with your battery having a good charge in it.If this relearn does not work then there is a fault with the immobiliser system with a component that has failed like the sensor that reads the key or the BCM ( body computer) and in this case if this does not work you will need to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set using a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your model and once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.In most cases, this relearns below works.

30-Minute Relearn Procedure

1. With your key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Observe the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message on the driver information center (DIC), after approximately 10 minutes the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message on the DIC will turn off.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
5. With your key, start the vehicle.If this worked it will start.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?