Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The heater only works occasionally. I haven't checked

Customer Question
The heater only works...

The heater only works occasionally

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I haven't checked level...but no leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2006 Solstice

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Solstice yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried that recalubratuo with no success

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that the heater does work...when it wants to

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pontiac
12/10/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are several things that could cause a lack of heat. I'm assuming that the blower motor works correctly but it blows cold. You could have a blend door or blend door actuator or the problem may be a lack of coolant flowing through the heater core. Usually a bad actuator or broken blend door will not cause an intermittent problem.

The first step will be to check coolant level. If the coolant is low enough then there will be intermittent or no flow through the heater core causing a loss of hot air. If it is low then it will need to be topped off and pressure tested to locate the leak.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.