Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My check engine light came on and I took it to AutoZone. The…

Customer Question
Hello so my check...

Hello so my check engine light came on and I took it to AutoZone. The computer says there's a problem with the transmission in some way or form. I took it to the dealership and they told me it's a transmission leak. And my car's transmission has been slipping. What can I do to fix it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It actually turned off but the problem is still there. And it stayed on consistently

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Pontiac g6 gt convertible 07

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G6 GT yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to fix it myself but I don't know where to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

If transmission fluid is low this will cause it to slip, have you added fluid yet to see if that stops the slipping?

Olay thank you. So what can I do?

Did you are dealership add/check transmission fluid level? Did they say where leak was coming from?

They said they added fluid and it was working well for a little while but then it started slipping again. They didn't inform me where the leak was coming from. The thing is though I don't see any fluid underneath the car. When there's a leak wouldn't I be able to see fluid on the floor?

You should usually be able to see fluid on ground but the only way fluid would go low is if there was a leak. The most common places for leaks are the axle seals and about a 2-3 hour job. Is this something you plan to do yourself or want to know what to expect at a shop? What codes are you getting?

I'm going to try and do it myself but if not what should I expect at the shop if i do take it to the shop? I don't have the codes on me but I can send you the codes in about an hour or so. If I do, do it myself, what are the steps I need to do in order to fix the problem?

Did check engine light go out once they added fluid and stay off for awhile?

But only for like 2 days

Did you ever get a chance to find the codes?

Here's the codes:
P0700
P0842
P0700

These would all be related to the low fluid, I just wanted to make sure. Next step is to figure out exactly what is leaking, usually it is a axle seal so you will see fluid coming out of transmission where axle shaft connects. In this case you will need to remove the axle then use a screwdriver to carefully pry out old seal. Once you have old seal removed you will need to use a socket about the same size of new seal and pound it into place. To have this done at a shop is about a $2-3 hour job and $30 part so around $300 total at a shop depending on where you go. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Pontiac Mechanic: Todd Audette, Pontiac Technician replied 7 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Pontiac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** i'm an A.S.E. certified Master technician and a G.M transmission technician.The code p0842 means there IS an internal transmission fault. Depending on which transmission you have in that vehicle because there were 3 different ones in that vehicle would be needed to know for proper diagnosis. If you could provide the last 8 digits of your V.I.N. I could assist you further