Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ignition switch will not turn. It will not turn at all. Key…

Customer Question
Ignition switch will not...

Ignition switch will not turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

It will not turn at all. Key was fine to use earlier today

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2005 aztek

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aztek yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes myself. Just jiggling the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Battery light can on before i turned the car off but all lights work

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/28/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Pete, Pontiac Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Pontiac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

A dead battery or low voltage can cause this issue here.I would try a jump start or a battery recharge to see if a dead or weak battery is the cause here.Usually the battery light will only come on when a fault is present with the battery or alternator.

Also you can try turning the steering wheel hard to one side or the other and try turning the key and see if that works as sometimes the steering lock binds and this will resolve the fault.

If it does not , try a jump start and see if it starts and runs and if it does then I recommend having the battery and alternator tested.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Will the lights come on if it needs a jump

Yes they can.You may have enough voltage for electronics to power up but not enough to turn over the engine to start it so it is definitely a possibility that the battery is weak.Usually when the battery light is on when the engine is running this indicates the alternator is not charging or a fault with the battery itself.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Could it be sensor? I have been having sensor problems also
The battery can cause the ignition switch not to tirn?

Can you explain the sensor issues you have been having?

The speed throttle senser is going out. Can the battery being low cause the the ignition key to not turn?

O.k.,the throttle sensor wont cause this here.

The low voltage can cause issues with turning the key as the ignition switch and key solenoid can be affected.

It would be a good idea to try a jump start.If this doesnt work try turning the steering hard to one side or the other and try to turn the key.If this does not work the only other thing I see is a fault with the ignition cylinder itself.The tumblers can fail in it causing this fault with the cylinder needing repaired by a lock smith or replaced.Also if the key looks severely worn the key would need replaced and can cause this.

Thanks Pete

I tried to jump the car and the key did not turn

O.k.,it is not a low voltage or battery issue then.

Try turning the steering wheel side to side or pulled hard to one side and see if it turns in case the steering lock is jammed.If this does not work then it is either a worn key needing replaced or an issue with the ignition cylinder as the tumblers can fall apart in the cylinder or jamb up causing this fault needing replaced.

Thanks Pete