Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It goes in reverse but not in drive or any other gears. Well…

Customer Question
It goes in reverse...

It goes in reverse but not in drive or any other gears

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Well I just bought the car the guy said it's new motor and tranny and it only has 40,000 miles on it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2009 G6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well it drove just fine but it didn't have any transmission fluid and filter was clogged so I changed that filled up with new transmission fluid and then an hour later it wouldn't go into any gear except reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Gary, Pontiac Technician replied 7 months ago
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

is the check engine light on ?

are there any codes set at all ?

how low was the fluid when you drove it ?

light is on there was 28 codes that came up mostly with transmission and there was none but I only drove it like 3 miles before putting new filter and new transmission fluid

if it will not move forward in and forward gear and no codes something failed inside the transmission i am sorry to say it should always have a forward gear and reverse no matter what if the fluid is full

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Also I was driving it after I put new filter and fluid and it did fine then all of a sudden it felt like tires weren't turning it would just rev up then it wouldn't go at all except in reverse

something has failed inside causing this issue more than likely a forward clutch failure as it should move forward no matter what happens electronically

it will need a rebuild or a used or new transmission installed