Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Power windows and sunroof stop working. 25A fuse on the back…

Customer Question
Power windows and sunroof...

Power windows and sunroof stop working

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses?

25A fuse on the back side of fuse box is good, but no [power getting to it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?

1. had to find the fuse on the back side of fuse box....Done 2. Sawpped the 25a fuce with power seat fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

3. removed the cover of the fuse and ran power to it and the windows worked so power is not getting to the fuse box

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pontiac
11/26/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Gary, Pontiac Technician replied 4 months ago
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

if you remove the RAP relay in that fuse box do 2 of the 4 terminals in the fuse box the relay plugs into show 12 volts ?

are you there?

ok that leaves 2 terminals left when you start the car up will one of the last 2 terminals show a ground when you start the car up ?

I checked it with the Key in the on position
should I check it with the key OFF?
then with the car running?
Not a big deal, I'll do both.....one second...

the last 2 terminals one is supposed to be a ground to turn on the relay which then the relay sends 12 volts out the last terminal to power those circuit breakers

we just need to be sure the BCM is turning on that relay which it does with ground

Still hot...
1. key off - both 12v
2. key in run position - both 12v
3. engine running - both 12v

test the OTHER 2 terminals that do NOT have power one of then should be a ground..the 2 that have 12 volts are good

20a Sun Roof fuse has NO Power, all other fuses in fuse box show power.....FYI

the RAP relay is what powers the fuses that are showing no power

Hold on. you wanted me the check the other 2 terminals.....for ground

yes with the car running

ok
with key off 1 has groundwith key on both hads ground

ok at this point it seems that relay is bad

the BCM is telling it to send power out of it

replacing that relay should fix this issue you are having

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

all good

ok

how are you making out ?

Gary
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician