Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can’t open my trunk. The button isn’t working and I’m not…

Customer Question
Can’t open my trunk ...

Can’t open my trunk

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?

The button isn’t working and I’m not sure it’s a temperature issue

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

07 g6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing I was looking up if it could be a fuse issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s all I know

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 day by:
11/20/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Pete, Pontiac Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Pontiac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If your model has a key hole for the key try to open it with the key and see if it opens then.If it does not this can be a fault with the latch itself in the trunk needing replaced which can be a common component to fail unfortunately.If there is no key hole or if it does not open let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hey Pete,There is no key hole. I had to remove my back seats and reach through a small hole with broom handles to pull up the emergency lever that’s for someone to pull if they are locked in the trunk. But as soon as I closed it again it’s back to not opening.

O.k.,this does sound like the common fault of the trunk latch itself.It houses the actuator to release it to open it up.Since it will not release electronically the actuator in it has failed and the trunk latch has to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

How do I do that and if you don’t mind me asking, how do you change a headlight

I apologize for the delay.

Here is the procedure on changing out the trunk latch.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
1. Open the rear compartment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjh99bcaggfedia/la-11-24.gif?dl=0

2. Release the lock rod from the lock cylinder.
3. Remove the latch bolts from the rear compartment lid.
4. Reposition the latch to gain access to the wiring harness connector.
5. Disconnect the wiring harness connector from the latch.
6. Remove the latch assembly from the rear compartment lid.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwf26uni04w68dj/lat-11-24.gif?dl=0

1. Position the latch assembly into the rear compartment lid.
2. Connect the latch wiring harness connector.

3. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice.

Install the latch assembly bolts.

Tighten the bolts to 10 N.m (89 lb in).

4. Install the lock rod to the lock clip.
5. Close the rear compartment

Unfortunately my info isnt listing the headlight replacement info on this model here.You would have to open that as a new question here to see if anyone has this info to help.

Thanks Pete