Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 2001 pontiac bonneville and it stalled out while

driving and won't restart the...
I have a 2001 pontiac bonneville and it stalled out while driving and won't restart the code reader reads MIL and I/M monitors .. What do I need to replace so I can get it back on the road
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great. If you share the code with me, I'll pass it along to the Pontiac Mechanic. He'll be able to diagnose your issue much faster with a code. Are you fixing your Bonneville yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The code reader just read MIL misfire and I/M monitors no code number came up .. I had it towed to my house and was going to try and work on it myself.. I charged the battery because I ran the battery trying to restart.. Tries to start but won't turn over and run
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The battery is located under the rear seat .. Thought it may be a sensor was checking before I bought a fuel pump and see if that was the issue
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It's a Pontiac bonneville ssei 2001.. Don't know if that's important to know
11/18/2017
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, try spraying some start fluid in the air filter and see if it starts and stalls. that will tell us if you have a fuel delivery issue

Roy

are you there???

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Going to the parts store to get starting fluid

ok will be here

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Tried to start with starting fluid at try to kick over but still would not

ok, it tried. good. it sounds like a fuel delivery issue.

it sounds like it needs a fuel pump.

Roy

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok.. The security light is also flashing.. Could it be a fuel relay

no,

when you turn the key on, does it go out after a few seconds???

Roy

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No .. When I tried to start it it stayed on continuous

ok, try this.

turn the key to start and then release to on position. wait 10 minutes the security light should go out.

then do the same thing a second time. when the light goes out then do it a third time. after the third time, the password ***** ***** and it should start

Roy

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It's raining pretty hard and I'm trying to do this unsheltered so I will try this tomorrow morning is there anything else it could be if the security doesn't go off and won't start after I try this .. I'm low on funds and can't afford to go thru this site and pay again tomorrow

there is no additional charges unless you want to speak over the phone.

once you rate me 3 stars or better this question will remian open as long as you wish and will stay locked to me. otherwise it will time out.

I will be on tomorrow off and on most of the day.

Roy

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Awesome.. I will catch up with you tomorrow.. Thank you

your welcome

Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hello again the security light went off and the computer remembered.. However it appears the fuel pump is the issue luckily I can get to it from the trunk .. Do you suggest I replace anything else

fuel filter as well. do the pump and filter

Roy

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The fuel pump I ordered was a complete assembly.. Pump ..filter..and wiring harness
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I'll get back with you today later on if I have any questions or concerns.. it's supposed to be in the parts store later today
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also where is the fuel filter located for sure so I don't have to look too much for it

under the car back by the tank

Roy

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
When I change the fuel pump do I need to disconnect the battery prior to

no, there is no power back there with key off

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok.. The pump should be in store in a couple hours.. I'll catch up with you later.. Thank you

your welcome

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Just got done replacing the fuel pump .. It got dark on me will I be able to text you tomorrow without any extra charge.. I still have to replace the fuel filter and don't know if I'll run into any issues that I may need your expert advice on

the question is locked to me and will stay open as long as you wish. no extra charges

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Do I need to rate you for your services today

not at all. we are good

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Have a good evening I'll check in with you later Thank you

you as well

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you.. Runs great now.. Life happened my apologies for not getting back with you

no worries, glad it is fixed

have a good holiday

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Have a wonderful holiday as well

thank you

Roy Belding
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician