Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My son is on the side of the road. Grand Am lost

acceleration at 70mph on highway...
My son is on the side of the road. Grand Am lost acceleration at 70mph on highway so he pulled over and shut it off. claims it was idling when he turned it off. Gas was low so he put in 3 gallons. It turns over but wont start? Any ideas? Fuel pump?
11/17/2017
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

how low was the fuel ?

before he added ?

almost empty, warning light had just come on

to know if this is a fuel pump they need to see if it will some what run on starting fluid being sprayed down the throttle if it does then the odds are yes the fuel pump is bad

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

car is on the side of the road, no starting fluid. other suggestions?

at this point that is all you can try on the side of the road

again the odds are the fuel pump is bad but to confirm try starting fluid

Would the catalytic converter cause anything like this?

it could but it would not come on sudden like this

a fuel pump would

they burn out running them on low fuel on these cars

Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician