Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

After installing the heads I proceeded to put the intake…

Customer Question
After installing the heads...

After installing the heads I proceeded to put the intake gaskets on the pushrods and rocker arms. On the front Bank starting from the pulley side the 4th push rod and rocker arm still has a lot of play after being snug down. All the rest of them on the front Bank and rear Bank tighten down with no play. I haven't torqued down any of them yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

General Motors Pontiac 3.4 l liter. And yes this is my first time and I'm also trying to put back together something someone else tore down

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2001 Grand Am GT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Am yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am putting it back together myself and as far as I know the pushrods head rocker arms are back in the same place they were taken out so I don't understand why there so much play in the fourth pushrod and rocker arm assembly

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok you got a basket case.

you have a collapsed lifter. I suggest replacing the lifters, all of them now, otherwise you will have valve taps when you start it up.

Roy

Okay

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Do I have to replace the pushrod
Pontiac Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Did you make sure to put the correct push rods in there correct places? The intake and exhaust push rods are not the same length.

The exhaust push rods are longer then the intake push rods.

Roy all the long ones are in the right places and all the short ones are in the right places but I still have that one rocker arm that when finger tightening all the rest of them snug up except that one

I am not roy, but will do my best to help you. I would remove the push rods and double check them. The only way you can have a loose rocker is if you put an intake push rod on an exhaust valve. Here are how the valves are arranged in each head. The front head , E,I,I,E,I,E The rear head, E,I,E,I,I,E And that is left to right standing in front of the car.

As you can see the 4th valve on the front head is an exhaust valve. If you have an intake push rod in its place, you will not be able to tighten the rocker enough to tighten the the push rod.

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things where going?