Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I'am back for some more help installing my water pump in…

Customer Question
Hi I'am back for some...
Hi I'am back for some more help installing my water pump in 1998 2.4. I am at the stage where I have the pump and cover nicely bolted together with red permatex and the gasket also installed. This is is my 2nd pump installation . Last installation I installed the pump only to the timing chain house over the stud bolts. Then I installed the pump cover to the pump. A***** However this time I read in chiltons I can bolt the cover to the pump on a bench and remove the steel pipe from the cover(Ican't see a way to do it with out damaging the steel pipe and or the pump cover). Now I was ready to bolt the pump with cover in place. The thermostat was into the water pipe spring side up with rubber gasket. As I lowered the pump and cover with the steel pipe still inserted into the pump cover, , I ren into this problem as follows. The pump started to line up with the 3 engine studs but as i went in the pump cover thermostat opening was stoped by the installed thermostat. I tried angeling in but this threw off the alignment with those studs. Looks like I will have to remover the cover from the pump making a new gasket necessary. Then install the pump 1st. Then the cover2nd so it will clear the thermostat. Another way if possible, is to remove the steel water pip from the pimp cover. Then I may be able to do the pump with cover in 1 part by missing the thermostat interference. I will 5 star and a small tip for the answer. Please asap.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: tims auto repair, mechanic replied 8 months ago
tims auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

you want instructions on replacing the waterpump?

Let me bring you up to speed. I've installed a pump couple of years ago. At that time I bolted the pump to the 3 studs on the block, then installed the pump cover and I had no difficulty with the thermostat sitting in place in the water pipe hole to interfer with bolting on the cover. Its a bit harder to do than on a bench. This time I followed Haynes which said the pump and cover can be bolted together on a bench then installed. Sounds a lot easier. When I tried to install the pump with cover, the thermostat lifted up the rear of the pump causing it to miss some of the 3 studs and bind in an angle. I tried to move it upwards and make it slip in but that thermostat, spring side up, kept it from going into all 3 studs. If the steel pump pipe was removable I could make room for the assembled pump to clear the thermostat. However it looks like its built to stay into the pump cover. Unless you have an idea , I am going to have to disassemble it ion a bench, buy new gaskets, clean it up bone clean,them install the pump 1st, then the cdover 2nd like I did my first pump installaion. The thermostat interfers with installing the pump with cover being installed as a unit because the stat sits in the steel radiator pipe. . Let me know . I have had the pleasure of your help before. I will tip and 5 start for problem solving answer. Thanks Car is in my garage until I can figure out this question. May have to disassemble pump and install like I did in 1st pump replacement.
Tim, check out this one, Thanks
Can you read and reply, going on 4 hours

sorry for the delay,,had trouble with the internet last night.

this is the best and only way i know of to install the pump on the 2.4

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dobonqs49oilq5/1110-GRANDAM-REMOVAL.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/7dobonqs49oilq5/1110-GRANDAM-REMOVAL.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Tim, the all data shows the pump and cover to be assembled and then installed to the motor and that is the way I have done it except when attempting to install the entire pump and cover , as I slide it back to the 3 studs, the thermostat that is sitting into the water pipe thermostat, spring side up now interferes with putting the entire pump from sliding back nicely into the 3 studs and line up with the pump to block bolt holes The only other idea I have is to slide the pump and cover together without the thermostat . Then try to lift up the pump assembly slightly and slip in the thermostat. Now the diagrams are great ones and I would like to keep them until they expire. If you know some way to work around the thermostat preventing the pump and cover from sliding back , please write me . The only other choice is to disassemble the pump, clean it up bone clean of gasket material, install the pump only 1st, then put the cover on 2nd. This would then clear the thermostat but it makes for more delay and rebuying all the gaskets. P.s is the steel water pipe removable from the pump cover? Thanks for the diagrams but I am past the diagram stage

please stand by. perhaps one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here.

someone will be right with you.

thanks

Good, sometimes 2 heads are better tan 1
past 1 day
Pontiac Mechanic: kwiggins29059, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, what I suggest is loosely mounting the pump and cover to engine then removing the bolts for the radiator outlet pipe, installing thermostat then torquing everything to spec. There's some retainer bolts for the thermostat pipe by the oil pan, see below.

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.