Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I changed my headlight motors today in my 89 Firebird and…

I changed my headlight...

I changed my headlight motors today in my 89 Firebird and they are now working opposite of each other. Driver side goes up and down correctly but the passenger side goes down when turned on and up when turned off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

No the headlights themselves are working, they just flip up and down wrong.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Firebird yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I tried unplugging the one that stays up when off and plugging it back in when they match but they still operate opposite.

10/19/2017
eric remington

h​ow many wires are connected to the motor each one? and did you do any splicing?

Looks like 2 wires in each and I haven't spliced anything. I did however get the car with them not working if that makes a difference.

t​ry to reverse the two wires put a jumper to opposite sides...know what I mea?n...

th​ses are rebuilt they may have put wires in backwards so try it other way

Unplug it and turn the plug around?

If th​ese are rebuilt they may have put wires in backwards so try it other way

y​es find a way preferably with jumper wires two reverse polarity of wires

Ok the plug only seems to fit one way so that doesn't work.

ok so try jumper wires

Ok I pulled the wires out of the plug on the new motor and reversed them and now it works.

so​ when they rebuilt it they put the wires in backwards...you may thank me by giving me a five star rating...congratulations you fixed it...yay!

I​t works just like a window motor called reverse polarity. one side will be hot and the other ground when you push switch in other direction it will work in opposite direction....so good job!

please do rate me

eric remington

Thank you so much for using Just Answer!