Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car will not start right away less you give some gas fuel…

Customer Question
Car will not start...

Car will not start right away less you give some gas fuel pump shows good pressure no drop changed mass air flow sensor not that changed fuel filter runs great after started do you think it could be crank sensor.2002 3.8l 145,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

Put a pressure gage on the fuel rail all shows good throttle all clean it seems like the spark is not there right away

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Pontiac?

Bonneville sle 2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Bonneville yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes me and another person which is pretty mech inclined

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't use the remote starter you have to run out there and give it some gas then it will start my friend thinks it might crank sensor

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pontiac
10/18/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

hello

if the engine will start and run as long as you keep squirting gas into the intake then its got spark and its also likely the crank sensor is OK

the issue will be that the injectors are not being opened by the ECU

the other possibilty is there's no fuel pressure at the fuel rail but as you say you've already checked that then this narrows it down to either a broken engine wiring harness or a faulty ECU

So I'd say the next step is to use a 'noid -light' on each injector

http://www.noidlight.com/

to confirm if any of them are being switched or not

alternatively you can use a screwdriver like a stethoscope with one end placed against the body of the fuel injector while your assistant cranks the engine
The injectors should ‘click’ as they are cycled on and off
If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket

let me know what you find