Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand GTP and when I hook my OBD2 scan

tool to the obd2 on...
I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand GTP and when I hook my OBD2 scan tool to the obd2 on my car it says connection cannot be made do I have to run a new data line to get communication from my odb2 to my obd2 scan tool.
10/17/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

This condition can be caused by a few different things. First, the scan tool that your using can be the issue. I would try using it on another vehicle just to be sure it works correctly.

If that checks out ok and it does in fact work good, then yes, the issue is on the vehicle itself. You will need to see if pin 16 of the data link connector has battery voltage on it with the key on. If not, you could have a blown fuse and or a wiring issue preventing the data link connector from getting power.

If the checks out good, be sure the connections and wiring at the data link connector check out good. Be sure the pins make good contact and the connector on the vehicle fits snug with the plug for the scanner or code reader.

If all checks out good, this is likely a faulty/failed module on board the vehicle causing this condition.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much were would the module be on the car if in fact everything checks out? I used the scan tool on another car it works fine and pin 16 has 12v. Its making a good connection at the obd2. So I would see if whatever module you said is bad where is that module and how would I check to see if its good. Another guy to me I would have to run a new data link wire I think he said pin 8 but Im going to follow your steps first. Thanks

Hello!

Dont just go and access all of the modules on board the vehicle. That would not be an efficient way of diagnosing this condition.

If there is a splice pack in the data or bus circuit, I would go there first. If there is not, then we would need to gain access to the modules and disconnect them one at a time until the communication resumes. Once this happens, the last module that was disconnected is likely at fault and will need to be replaced.

Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, this is no splice pack in the car now what do I do?

Hello!

Can you send me your VIN?

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician