Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I hear a whining noise ever time that I accelerate. I was…

Customer Question
I hear a whining...

I hear a whining noise ever time that I accelerate. I was told that it was my water pump and belt tensioner, both have since been replaced, but the sound has not gone away. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

It has never overheated while in my possession, and it was serviced in the past year. I also have a check engine light on that no one can figure out.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2006 Torrent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Torrent yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not. I've taken it to an O'Reilly/VIP Autoparts here in my town.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be it. I need to get it to not be so loud as well as getting it to pass Maine State Inspection.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Pontiac
10/17/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you tried listing to the system with a sounds amplification device to find the issue when it is in the fault condition?

I have not

If you have these tools or even a long screwdriver that would be the first thing I would do, also remove the belt to ensure it is in the serpentine system. Inspect the new belt for debris and rubber buildup on pulleys, operate the a/c compressor to see if it gets worse or not.

Thank You

sure thing! sometime these things can be a pain and you may need someone to help with the acceleration part.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Shawn.