Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Is there any margin for error when torquing the torque to

Customer Question
yield head bolts to 95...
Is there any margin for error when torquing the torque to yield head bolts to 95 degrees on final step?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pontiac
10/14/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Are you using an angle meter under your 1/2 inch breaker bar?

I would say you would be safe to 105 degrees, no more.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Using a generic angle meter underneath yes. Don't want to have to do this repair again
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am working on a 2007 Pontiac torrent 3.4 liter

If you are doubtful of an early angle meter, Snap-on makes an all-in-one torque wrench, angle meter, tension in imperial and metric etc.

I've used one on top of the other for comparison.

Needs a friend to help.

The snap on tool gives progressive beeps.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just unsure if any margin for error because these engines are prone to head gasket failure
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also is it okay to lube torque to yield bolts with oil
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why is connecting me to a ford mechanic when I am asking a question about a Pontiac?
Pontiac Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 month ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

You can oil the threads of the bolts before installing. This will make it easier to make sure to get an even true torque. You do not want to be more then 5 degrees off, but you do want to make sure that you have all the bolts as close to even as you can. If you do not get the bolts evenly torqued down, then you can have problems with warping. You will want to make sure that the threads in the block are clean and dry before installing the heads as well. If you oil the bolt threads, do not apply to much oil, just a drop or two on the threads is all you need.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok the last thing is the lower intake end seals it says apply a dab of rtv in each corner. It doesn't say if I apply it on top of the end seals or under them.
Pontiac Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 29 days ago

I always do both the top and bottom of the seals just to make sure it is sealed up good. It does not take much.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Damn, I did the top and not the bottom before I thought about asking and torqued it. Should I buy a new set of I intake bolts and redo it with applying on both sides?

I would wait and see if it leaks. It should be ok as long as you did add some to the corners.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I applied on top to all 4 corners where the gaskets meet. I haven't installed anything else since torquing the lower intake is why I asked if I should redo it.

It should be ok. I do both sides just to make sure but it is not required.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Is the directions from fel pro or manufacturer to apply it to the top then and you just do the bottom yourself as extra precaution

That is correct. You are going to use dex cool coolant in this engine correct?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It had green when son bought it and then head gaskets blew a month later

The green anti freeze is probably what caused the gasket to fail. Green anti freeze becomes acidic and will eat the gaskets in this engine. You should flush the whole system very good, and then use a 50 50 mix of dex cool and water to refill it.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech