Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Does starting a car's engine and alternator when the car has…

Does starting a car's engine...
Does starting a car's engine and alternator when the car has sat idle for 1 to 3 days and then allowing the engine to idle in park for a few minutes (e.g. up to 10 minutes) help to CHARGE the car's battery or DRAIN it? Does the car need to be in motion versus stationary in park in order for the battery to recharge with new energy from the alternator? Note that in this case, there is a small device connected to the engine's battery which draws a small amount of energy from that battery and can run it down over a period of a few days if the car is not started and the alternator run so that the battery can recharge. The questions here is whether leaving the car in park and not driving it will actually recharge the battery or only drain it further. I have noticed in the past that when the car is left running for up to an hour but kept idle in park that the battery drains such that the engine won't turn over when attempted to restart after that, although the air conditioning had been running (hot local climate) while the car was parked in idle and that may have been the biggest drain that caused the battery to run down versus just keeping the engine in idle without the air conditioning turned on. But does the car have to be in motion in order for there to be a net addition to the battery charge or can the battery recharge (with air conditioning turned off) with the car in idle such that the battery does recharge? If the battery does recharge in idle, how long should the engine be left running in idle for the battery to recharge after the engine had been started easily just 3 days prior but with a small drain on the battery from the ancillary device over that time? Does revving the engine while in idle help send more charge from the alternator to the battery? Does keeping the engine running at a higher level than it's normal idle rate help recharge the battery faster? And if putting the car in motion is necessary for the battery to recharge, what is the optimal driving speed the car should be run (and for how long) in order for the battery to recharge? Should stopping the car's motion at stop signs and traffic lights be avoided (e.g. keep the engine running on the highways versus local city streets) so as to recharge the battery this way? And does pulling to a stop for stop signs and traffic lights work to drain the engine's battery in normal, every day operation and it is only the highway miles that actually work to recharge the battery?
10/12/2017
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

these are self internal charging alternators when the engine is at idle it should be charging the battery as at idle it should be charging over 13.5 volts or so

if the idle is too low it COULD cause it to not charge enough

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

you have answered Question 1 and that is that a car does not have to be in motion for the alternator to charge the battery, i.e. it can recharge while in idle if the idle is set high enough.To reiterate the other related questions I asked in my first submission, I asked the following:2. HOW LONG should the engine be left running in idle for the battery to recharge at least enough to restart the engine immediately or after 1 to 3 days of sitting idle with a small drain on the battery?3. Does revving the engine while in idle help send more charge from the alternator to the battery?4. Does keeping the engine running at a higher level than it's normal idle rate help recharge the battery faster?5. When recharging the battery by driving, what is the optimal driving speed the car should be run (and for how long) for the battery to recharge?6. For purposes of recharging the battery by driving the car, should a route be chosen to avoid stop signs and traffic lights (e.g. choose to drive on highways) so as to keep the engine running at a higher rate?

it should charge back up in 30 minutes of being at idle

how are you making out ?

Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician