Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1988 Firebird Formula and am trying to figure out a…

Customer Question
I have a 1988...

I have a 1988 Firebird Formula and am trying to figure out a problem with the back hatch pull-down assembly. The deck unlocks with the button on the dash, but when you close the deck lid, the pull down motor will not engage. Also, I noticed the plastic guides within the assembly are in poor condition. Is there anyway to check the operation of the motor without disassembling everything?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes, to my knowledge, this is all original equipment.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Firebird Formula yourself? What have you tried so far?

Planning to fix the car myself. Haven't done much to this point, I've just taken the plastic covers off so I can get to the pull down assembly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've done a little research on the internet regarding is issue and have found a rebuild kit and a complete rebuilt assembly (a little expensive) for this car, but I'd like to determine if the pull down motor I have is operational before paying $265.00 on a rebuilt unit.

Mechanic's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Pontiac
10/6/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 10 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Check to see if red/white wire going to latch assembly has power if so this would mean latch assembly has failed. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

That response was of no value. I found a better forum on the internet for this problem and will be reviewing this information. This web site was of no value to me, so please don't charge me.

I'll put in refund request, no need to rate. Thanks.