Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Steering fluid keeps leaking out really fast. I only get…

Customer Question
Steering fluid keeps leaking...

Steering fluid keeps leaking out really fast. I only get about a week before it's empty again

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak? And have you checked the reservoir?

I believe it leaking on my driveway. I've used a steering fluid and leak stopper but it didn't help

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2004 Pontiac Montana

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried fixing the steering fluid yet because I was told by a mechanic I had to replace the rack and pinion and that was really expensive

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I believe there is also an exhaust leak and there is a really bad oil leak

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Pontiac
10/4/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician replied 10 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician

Hi there, I am Cam.

Forgive me, I am confused. Your technician had told you the steering rack is leaking and needs to be replaced, am I correct?

If so, what can I answer for you today?

Hi Cam,That's my son's name too.
My 2004 Pontiac Montana has 3 issues that I'm aware of:1. Steering fluid only lasts about a week. I tried steering fluid/stop leak but it didn't help for more than a week.2. Was told I have a "massive" oil leak.3. The engine roar in the last couple weeks suddenly got super loud and I'm wondering if it's an exhaust link.Wondering if it's worth fixing.My experience is limited in repairing things myself. I started with replacing the starter two weeks ago.If I can repair these things myself for less than $200 I may do it.

The oil leak is often the intake manifold gaskets, and that is 600 or so to fix.

The steering rack is not easy to replace and that would be 500-800 at a guess,
The Roar that may be a simple leak that could be fixed for 200, but it really depends on the source and the rest of the exhaust.

My gut feeling, for what its worth, I think the cost to repair may be worth more than the van, but thats my opinion based on experience with these vehicle and what you have describes.

Thanks Cam. I appreciate your time and I trust your gut feeling on it.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. :)