Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 pontiac series 2 3800 will not crank when hot, but will…

Customer Question
1995 pontiac series 2...

1995 pontiac series 2 3800 will not crank when hot, but will at starting motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

What has that got to do with cranking?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '95 Pontiac?

Bonniville

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I am looking for a relay because the ingnition switch wire is a small yellow wire and the starter wire is a large purple wire.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Amedee, Pontiac Technician replied 7 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

You are now connected with a mechanic.

I am very sorry you're having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

• I don't know your skill level or background.
  • I also don't know the vehicle's history other than what you have and provide me with here on this page.
  • Please keep in mind, I cannot see the vehicle and I am not there to run the tests and check things as needed. My answers are solely based on the information you provide me with.
  • If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please request a phone call on your end and will call you right away.
  • If you don't understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.
  • Please understand that I am here to help.

Are you saying that the engine does not crank over using the key when warm but it will if you jumper power directly to the starter?

Thank you for that information.

I will tell you the most likely possible cause and how to check the starting circuit.

Ready?

there has got to be a relay in the cranking circuit as i stated in my answer small wire at the ign. switch and large wire at the starter?

YES, sir that's correct. There is a starter relay located behind the left side instrument panel.

The most likely possible cause (if the security light is flashing when this happens) would be broken wires in the steering column coming from the ignition lock cylinder. This is very common. The fix is to replace the ignition lock cylinder as it comes with new wires.

If the security light is not illuminating or blinking when this occurs, then I would recommend checking the inputs to the starter relay to see why it is not activating. The relay needs two powers and one ground to operate correctly. If so and that checks out good but there is no power getting to the starter solenoid with the key in the crank position, it is possible the neutral safety switch could be faulty as it is between the starter relay and starter motor.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician