Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 06 Pontiac Torrent and it would not turn over for…

I have a 06...

I have a 06 Pontiac Torrent and it would not turn over for anything I also have just went and recently purchased a battery for it and it still will not turn over and after a while of no noise I started to hear a tick every time I try to turn it over but again to no avail

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Good morning the ticking noise maybe a module switch it got two sets of numbers one in the corner is 3604 and the long one at the bottom is 12193 604 the name of the fuse tyco

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Torrent yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am I've tried a brand new battery but it still won't start or crank over and I just heard a little ticking noise every time I started and I located a module but the little module is where the fuse go on the passenger side of the door

9/24/2017
Pete, Pontiac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

That looks to be a relay of some kind.Does it tick or make noise each time you try and start it and is it a click type noise when trying to start it?

Let me know,thanks Pete

When I was trying to start the vehicle up it wouldn't make no noise turning over then eventually I heard a ticking noise everytime I try to start it it was then that I located the noise and the ticking noises coming from the fuse box inside the vehicle on the passenger side of the door these are the numbers that's on the little gray fuse box or module in a in the top right hand corner 3604 and in the bottom left-hand corner 12193 604 name tyco

O.k.,that looks to be the starter/crank relay.That is a good sign it is ticking when trying to start as that indicates it is working.This relay feeds the starter motor itself.Since it clicks but the starter is not turning over to start the engine at all this sounds like the common fault of the starter itself needing replaced.I have ran into this as the cause several times for the fault you have here.

What has to be done is the starter needs tested.There are a couple of ways to do this.With an assistant tap on the starter with a hammer lightly while the assistant tries to start the vehicle.If the engine then starts then the starter needs replaced.

If this does not work then you need to test the signals at the starter with a test light or multi meter.You should have power/12 volts at the large wire at the starter at all times key on or off then you should have 12 volts on the ignition fed side smaller wire only when cranking over with the key.If you have both of these signals then the starter needs replaced.

If you need info on where the starter is located let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Rate is a 5

Thanks

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Pontiac Technician