Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 01 grand am that cranks but wont start. IT IS NOT

THE PASSLOCK. I have sprayed...
I have a 01 grand am that cranks but wont start. IT IS NOT THE PASSLOCK. I have sprayed starter fluid, nothing. Doesn't seem to have spark. Here's what I think is a hint. Tell me why this is. If I check voltage at the batt, it is 12+ volts. It is also at the fuse block right between the batt and the drivers firewall 12 volts, but at the ignition module, only around 7 volts. I went back to that fuse block and opened it up and started probing some wires with the neg probe on the batt neg and I'm getting around 7 volts on alot of wires, what gives. Any advice or direction is appreciated. Scott
9/20/2017
Pete, Pontiac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

At the IGN MOD 10 amp fuse in the under hood fuse panel do you only see 7 volts at one terminal this fuse seats into with the key on?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

O.k.,now locate the main power wire feeding this fuse panel does it have 12 volts or 7 volts as well?It will be a large red or black cable and usually connects to a metal stud.Make sure it isnt corroded or loose as well and let me know.

Thanks Pete

12 volts and no corrosion.

O.k.,the issue is in the fuse panel itself then.My info is not showing if this panel comes apart.Some do not and have to be replaced as an assembly.If it does you would want to check the bars that run from the power feed to this fuse and other fuses for any burns or corrosion needing repaired or any wiring breaks or damage needing repaired.If it does not come apart unfortunately it will need replaced or if nothing visual is seen as the issue.That power feed should feed direct voltage to the fuses and it should be the same 12 volts.

One place I use for used parts like this is from http://www.car-part.com.They can ship to you as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Pontiac Technician
Pete, Pontiac Technician