Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

2007 Pontiac G6. I am having a problem with starting this

Customer Question

2007 Pontiac G6. I am having a problem with starting this car. At times it will start fine. Other times it just clicks and or does nothing at all. If I check voltage at the starter solenoid when turning the key and it wont start it reads between 7 and 9 volts and just clicks. I have used a starter button directly from the battery to the starter and it engages every time. I changed the ignition switch with a dealer part and it didnt change anything. I also swapped the starter relay. I also checked the wiring from the starter to the base of the fuse box. Fuse box issue?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

if you reading 7 to 9 and 12 volts , then we need to check battery voltage for 12 volts disconnect from battery cables,if yiu have 12 volts and holding then hook cables and check them for loose or corrosion from battery to Starter ,if still 7 to 9 volts after checking,recharging or replacing the battery ,then replace the cables ,we need 12 volts to start

how old is battery if older than 4 5 years it is time to change it ,take it out and go to local parts store they will check & put loads test on battery for free

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have 12 volts at the starter

ok so 12 at starter and still starter do nit turn , take it out and try to operated using extra power ,if it does not turn over ,replace it

now if we have 12 volts but ground missing that is different ,that will BCM module is bad nit sending a ground ,

check that relay pin going to bcm

click on link and tell me if you can view pdf file showing wiring starting circuit and components involved and let me know

Look at The starter relay , power from battery at one pin all the time , power from switch when on or start position ,and WE NEED GROUND FROM BCM ON THAT RELAY

ARE YOU MISSING THAT GROUND FROM BCM

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a ground. Battery voltage at the relay as well

no i m sorry not possible ,

if you have 12 volts and ground then whi is it not starting , did you say it is intermittent

so bcm could be sending ground intermittently

all the parts you changes are for starting system , but you are missing something here

the bcm or starter are the most common not the items replaced

not sure man

i can opt out of your question for you & open it for other expert for 2nd opinion.

just let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its intermittent as I stated in the original question. I guess you missed that part.

will opt out ,just do reply back to me since it will lock question back to me and other expert want see it to assist you more better Sir

Good luck with it