Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 2002 Montana and the engine will not urn off with…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Montana and the engine will not urn off with the key. I have already changed the key switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am, only changed the key switch. I am looking at the ignition harness or icu.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/20/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

The ignition switch is what is causing this.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

I have changed the swtich, I thought the ignition harness or icu would be the next thing to look at.
Hello anybody there?

Okay, I guess i misunderstood you then. The key cylinder ans ignition switch are 2 different parts inside the steering column. if you replaced them both, then yes, you would be looking at the ICU.

Also, please allow a little time for my reply.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Let me clarify, I changed the key cylinder. The next thing I was considering was the harness that the key cylinder mounts to. I have also thought about the icu.

The key cylinder is NOT the ignition switch, the ignition switch is about a foot below that in the steering column. According to my database these are 2 separate components. If the ignition switch/electrical component is good, then consider the ICU and harness. Also, I will continue to assist you after my 5 star rating too.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor