Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need to put the serpentine belt back on my 2006 Pontiac…

I need to put...

I need to put the serpentine belt back on my 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. I can't find the tensioner pully.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Pontiac Grand Prix. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I'm replacing the alternator. New one is in place, without bolts being connected.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Does this vehicle have the 6-cylinder or the 8-cylinder engine?

6 cylinder

Great. Thank-you. Please give me one moment to upload an image for you. Sit tight one minute... be right back!

I have a diagram of how the belt should go on. I think the problem is that I don't know where the tension pulley is located. So far putting the belt on seems to be physically impossible. I must be missing a fairly simple step.

Thanks for holding!
You can view the tensioner location and belt route guide here: https://goo.gl/zYcM7m

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Shouldn't that tensioner move so that I can put the belt on?

Yes. Using the center bolt on the tensioner, rotate it counter clockwise. Install the belt on every pulley except the alternator. Rotate the tensioner counter-clockwise and then pull up the slack in the belt to install it on the alternator. Slowly release the tensioner.

I'll give that a try. I think the misake I made was removing the belt tensioner altogether. I assume I need to tighten the bolt and continue pushing it counterclockwise to move the entire part, then let it go after the belt is in place?

Correct. The tensioner will rotate upon itself. This will allow slack in the belt to be pulled up and onto the alternator. Once instaledl, slowly release the tensioner. Do not let it snap back, as this can damage the tensioner.

Thanks for your help!

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great day!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
SuperDave
SuperDave, auto technician
Phone call session started